Friday, January 28, 2011

French Vogue + Chanson = Perfect

I'm trying to make a solo based on this image from French Vogue:


Or perhaps more specifically, I'm trying to make a dance for this DRESS.

And with the Juliette Greco version of "Sous le ciel de Paris" (as opposed to the Edith Piaf version):


Molly and I started work on this by playing with mouthing the words from the song, as if reading a letter. Letters might be a sub-theme that runs under the current of the work. We've generated material based on writing letters to our deepest darkest fears, and I found Leighton Pierce's use of a letter as an abstracted narrative in his film "37th & Lex" (which is also of interest for his use of light.) You can see it here: http://vimeo.com/8640936

I think I subconsciously stole the idea of mouthing the words from Pina Bausch's "The Man I Love", where the performer is speaking (rather than singing) along to a Gershwin(?) song, in addition to translating the words to sign language. There is something in this juxtaposition that is unsettling, and that is what I would like to achieve (and perhaps a little humor too) in this solo for Molly, whose acting skills have been quite excellent! I'm not quite sure how to achieve this exactly, but we're off to a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment