Sunday, January 23, 2011

Yelle, continued

On Wednesday I had a record hour of productivity. After a long and active day, I peaked with the creation of three phrases to “Ce jeu” on repeat. Afterward, I went home starving and dozed off at my computer (and then during a phone call, and then on the couch).

The choreography to “Ce jeu” is the first movement I have generated myself and passed off to the dancers in the traditional working manner. Thus far we have improvised and cultivated, or I have directed bodies moment by moment. I wanted to push myself past my normal boundaries with the movement, but I still wanted it to appear “signature”, so to speak. I wanted something athletic, but quirky.

The dancers picked up the material very quickly on Thursday, since we had less than an hour to work on it. Most of the cast was exhausted from rehearsing for the Power Center show, but they really pulled themselves together to learn the phrase work. I was exhausted too, still fatigued from Wednesday, and thinking less than sharply. But something about the combination of uplifting music and genuinely fun movement kept us going. The dancers are voting to use the Yelle song for the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment