Friday, January 14, 2011

Jillian / Julie Duet

I’m trying to remember how this started for me. On one hand, the duet came about from the reality of having only Julie and Jillian available. I think my initial directive was to stand facing the same direction, front to back, and improvise moving their arms together. With my i-pod MIA (turns out it was there the whole time) Jillian put on music by The Innocence Mission, which fit the mood perfectly. Their folky album looped continuously as we created. Mostly I directed – asking questions and making decisions based on the dancer’s physical answers. I thought we had created a nice, succinct duet, but when we showed the rest of the cast they said “Beautiful! I want more!” Now, leaving people wanting more is a good thing, but the following week we decided to add more, which I think solidified some of the movement themes by allowing permutations of repeated movements. Hopefully we’ve not extended so much that we have lost the desire for continuation.

No comments:

Post a Comment